Is this Coccydynia? Please...
Clackmac - email@example.com
I've had this condition for about 5 years. I've seen a doctor repeatedly who sent me to various internal type specialists, and the whole time I felt it was more a physical therapy/ chiropractic type situation. (Finally, after an MRI of my pelvic region two years ago, he said he couldn't find anything, so I said, "That's it. It's over. Let's just forget about this until you or I can provide some form of new insight into this problem.)
Yes, at times I felt like I was crazy. When I came to this board it was the first time that I felt that there were people who were going through what I was going through or something similar.
In short there were several things I told my doctor that must have made me look nuts, and I come to this board, and see the exact same comments. I can't say that what I have is coccydynia as many of the symptoms I don't seem to have. But it is amazing to see in print some of the exact same symptoms I do have!
- As posted on 2003-11-16 Pain disappears when buttocks are separated from Stefan (my doctor thought I was nuts when I said this, but yet Stefan posted the same)
- It seems many talk of pain connected with sex. For me it's good news, bad new. The most aggravating and irritating thing I can do for my condition is masturbate. Sex does not seem to be a problem. (Hence the good news, bad news)
- The closest I can describe my condition is it feels like there is a rotten/irritated/tense tendon going from my right testicle down through my right leg. The majority of the tension is located right where my leg meets my hip just to the right of my right testicle. Once again, I cannot masturbate without this being aggravated, but yet sex does not seem to be a problem. (I need a girlfriend!)
- I used to try to stretch it, and finally figured out that this caused major aggravation of the problem. This was once again confirmed when I started Yoga and every physical problem/ posture problem/ energy problem/ stress problem was cured immediately, but after one week my "Coccydynia/groin?" problem was severely aggravated. When I did several of the positions I could feel the irritated tendon going all the way down my right leg, yet the lingering pain/irritation was in the usual spot, just to the right of my right testicle where the leg meets the hip.
- Over the years I have thought I had found some magic "trick" that relieved the irritation. It would work for a short time, but could not overcome stress or masturbation. I am almost reluctant to mention this as it is a brand new "trick" but seems to have worked better than any other I have done before. Someone gave me one of those Hitachi Dual-Head massagers, as the condition was always associated with tightness. I tried the massager where the tightness was (you know where, where the leg meets the hip to the right of the right testicle) and it GREATLY AGGRAVATED IT. I was very distressed. I then thought I would try it where I had felt that rotten tendon going down my leg while doing the stretching in Yoga. For the last 3 or 4 days I have done this up and down my leg, including my foot, and it has relieved the aggravation/irritation on a level that I have not felt for five years. (It does leave my leg with tingling sensation similar to it being asleep long after the massage is done, but it is not a condition that I wouldn't be happy to trade for what I have been through during these five years.) (This "trick" has yet to pass the test of time, so I have no proof that this is really going to help long term)
- One last thing I thought was interesting, but not that important, was the external pain on the ear on the same side as I have the aggravation which was also the same as someone posted in this group. I had felt this pain while sleeping for some time and am sure it had woken me up often. Just one month ago a felt determined to get to the bottom of it and practically tore my ear apart trying to find what was inside causing the pain. But there was nothing. The pain left my ear until the scab healed, and then it was back. But this is something I can live with.
Please, please, please, please, any insight to my condition would be appreciated. I'm not sure if everyone is going to write, "Hey buddy, you have Coccydynia!" or if they are going to say, "Wrong group, you're not even close!" All I can say it that in reading the messages it was the first time in five years that I did not feel like I was crazy. It was the first time I had ever heard of anyone saying the same seemingly crazy things that I had told my doctor.
So any information you can provide would be appreciated. If you have any of the symptoms or have talked to others with my symptoms, or know anything about my symptoms, please let me know.
Note: I am quite fit, but I have been unable to improve my posture, as of yet. The Yoga did more for my posture than I have ever been able to manage. I have thought my condition was somewhat related to poor posture.