After 3 painful years, it's finally gone!

Lauren, USA -

Posted 2017-08-20

I wanted to come on here and share my story. I have been lurking around this site for the last 3 years; reading everyone's story, looking for answers, doctors, alternatives, etc.

My tailbone saga started Mother's Day, 3 years ago. I woke up and my tailbone area hurt. I couldn't figure out why or how it happened. There was no fall and anything outside the ordinary. I'll fast forward and give you a brief version of the diagnosis and outcome that took place until now.

I did all the less invasive things. Chiropractic, pelvic floor physical therapy, manual adjustments internally (both vaginal and rectal), on and on. To no avail.

I finally saw a doctor and got my tailbone x-rayed and it was completely broken off my sacrum and at a 90-degree angle to my spine (going inward). It could be felt through my vagina. The x ray just clarified what I already knew. It was broken and had to come out. All the doctors suspected it happened from a combination of excessive sitting (I worked from home and all my business was conducted on my couch with a laptop) and pelvic floor tension from stress and clenching. Overtime it pulled/pushed it so far forward that it was broke.

I found a wonderful doctor in Keller, Texas named Dr. Kjeldgaard; pronounced Kill-guard and he immediately had someone there schedule me for surgery (see Doctors and specialists in the USA, Texas). The only caveat was that I am DEATHLY afraid of general anesthesia so I asked if it could be done with an epidural or spinal injection, and to my surprise he said yes! My surgery was scheduled for August 11th at Baylor Trophy Club Medical Center.

I'm writing this a little past midnight on the 3rd day post-op. During the surgery, everything went smooth. The staff at Baylor were amazing. It was outpatient surgery, but since I had an epidural, I couldn't be released until I could walk again. My surgery was scheduled for 8:15, and I was checked out of the hospital by 3. I turned down all IV narcotics and pain meds and only had the epidural and local pain injections before the surgery. By the time I was home I was beginning to feel pain so I took a hydrocodone and rested the remainder of the day. The following day was minimal pain, and today was none. I have taken a total of 4 pain pills since the procedure. 3 the first day, 1 the second, and none today.

I am so relieved to have had this done and be on the other side of this. I am 33 years old and feel like when my tailbone issue started, someone pressed the pause button on my life. It was miserable and I always tell people that I feel like I aged 10 years in the 3 I have dealt with it. Already I can tell a huge difference and I am optimistic that it will continue to improve. No one deserves to live in pain.

I have not seen the incision yet because the Dr placed a dressing that I go in to get changed in a few days.

If you are in the DFW area and looking for a great doctor with experience in coccygectomy's, Dr. Kjeldgaard is your man! Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns you have. I would love to help as much as I can, as I know how debilitating coccyx pain can be.

Note from Jon Miles:

I emailed more than a year after this story was posted, to ask for an update, as the long-term outcome of treatment is of great interest. In this case I did not get a reply.

What is coccydynia? | Investigation and diagnosis | Treatment | Coping with coccyx pain | Find a doctor or specialist

Medical papers | Personal experiences | Links to other sites | Support groups | Site map