Tailbone drama

Mandi, USA - mandi.15@hotmail.com

Posted 2015-02-01

I started having tailbone pain a year and a half ago. There was never any trauma or injury to the area but it randomly started acting up. I went in for X-rays and was told there was some bone spurs on the tailbone. From there, I went to a orthopedic surgeon who did a manual manipulation and cortisone shot. He said that for whatever reason, the tailbone was very "stiff" and didn't allow very much movement when I sat down. He didn't seem as concerned about the spurs.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any relief from that procedure. That was almost two years ago and last week we did the same procedure again. He wanted to be certain before he ever did any surgery that this wouldn't work. It didn't.... So I am scheduled for a coccygectomy Monday!

Wish me luck and I would LOVE whatever advice I can get for a quick recovery.

I'll update soon.

Update, 2015-02-06

Surgery went very well! I checked into the hospital at 9:00 a.m. and was all loaded on my stomach in my moms Yukon by 2:30 that afternoon. The 45 min ride home was totally fine. I'm pretty short so laying down that way was no problem. I was able to walk inside the house carefully and then took a 4 hr nap :).

That first day was the best one so far. I was able to stand at the dinner table and eat with my family! By the time I crashed and went to bed, that night was rough. Changing positions is difficult due to the pain and weakness in my legs. But I've kept up on the hydros every four hours. I am also taking cipro for an antibiotic twice a day. The next day, the local anesthetic shots the doctor had given me had totally worn off. So staying on top of my painkillers and ice was a must. Nothing unbearable but definitely uncomfortable. I totally recommend getting a raised toilet seat. It is such a life saver on those extra sore days to not have to squat down so far!!

I'm doing better than I had expected. I am really sensitive to noises but that is just a side effect from the pain killers for me. Other than that, I nap when I want and can be as social as a beached whale can be! :) I changed the gauze last night (night#2) before I went to sleep and put some hydrogen peroxide on a Cotton ball. I just dabbed the incision site a few different times before putting on a new bandaid. All my stitches are dissolvable so I'm glad for that!

Doc said to use the hydrogen peroxide a couple times a day to try and insure no infection. I'm yet to have a BM also but take a stool softener regularly with my other pills. I have high hopes for this recovery and am trying to keep up a good attitude! I'll update again! I would totally recommend my doctor Lynn Stromberg from Idaho Falls (see Doctors and specialists in the USA, Idaho). He did an amazing job. He wants to see me in a couple weeks for a wound check up.

And a side note, I had someone ask me my size and age... I'm a 23 year old female, 5'3", 115 pounds. Hope this is helpful to anyone out there looking into surgery!

Note from Jon Miles:

I emailed more than a year after this story was posted, to ask for an update, as the long-term outcome of treatment is of great interest. In this case I did not get a reply.

What is coccydynia? | Investigation and diagnosis | Treatment | Coping with coccyx pain | Find a doctor or specialist

Medical papers | Personal experiences | Links to other sites | Support groups | Site map