Coccyx excision

Jeffrey Lawson -

Posted 2009-03-15

I had my coccyx removed last month, and thought I'd share my personal experience. I am 25 years old and otherwise healthy. I happened to be stepping out of my car at a gas station where I immediately lost my footing and landed hard on the ground due to a leaking gas pump.

The first few months after the fall, I was fine. About 4 months later, I began to experience significant pain when I sat, walked or bent over in certain directions. I made a visit to the local urgent care (Actually, a Kaiser urgent care) in Southern California. The doctor I saw ran some routine x-rays and determined that my coccyx was fractured. He could not determine the degree, but referred me for an MRI and follow up with my primary. After having the MRI, it was determined that my Coccyx was fractured in the dorsal position, pointing out like an actual tail.

As time past, the pain increased. I was referred by my primary care physician for acupuncture, pain management, then to a Neurosurgeon (Who stated that he knew nothing of the coccyx and would need to refer me to another Doctor), then to another, yes ANOTHER Neurosurgeon who stated the exact same as the previous.

Finally, after a year of dealing with the pain, I switched my primary care physician. The Doctor who I saw was Richard Sloane Segal at Kaiser South Bay. Upon arriving in his office, he informed me that he had already reviewed my file and contacted the head of Orthopedics for Kaiser to determine who could best assist my situation.

I was referred by Dr. Segal to Dr. James Lau in Anaheim (see Doctors and specialists in the USA, California). Dr. Lau stated that it would be necessary to remove the coccyx, and that the recovery would be about a month to two months. Within two weeks, I was scheduled for surgery. I was nervous approaching the surgery, not knowing exactly what to expect. I was able to find a great deal of information on this site which made preparing for the recovery a lot easier. I entered the hospital on Monday and was in surgery for approximately an hour.

After surgery, I woke up in my room and was able to immediately get out of bed and walk around. Within a couple of hours, I was feeling good. I didn't the same pain, however, I was experiencing pain from the surgery. I was able to sit on my bottom with little concern over which way I had to pivot for the first time in a year and a half! I was discharged the following day with no issues.

The only thing the Dr. said I should be concerned with was the possibility of infection. Luckily, I was able to get my dressing changed every 1-2 days, with the dressing being removed after 2 and a half weeks.

It has now been one month since the surgery. I am feeling good, except for some pain in the gluteus maximus muscles. The doctor stated that this would be expected for a month or two, and that it should wear off. I am no longer sitting on a donut, and I am looking forward to the pain decreasing as time wears off.

I think I am fortunate to have been able to have the surgery while I am young, as it has enabled me to heal quicker, and feel better faster (So I am told!). Having support at home really makes things easier. Also, you can get one of those 3 foot extension grabbers which makes picking things up and grabbing things like your shoes much easier in the first few days after surgery.

If you have any questions regarding the surgery or injury, or if you would like information regarding Dr. Richard Segal or Dr. James Lau, please feel free to email me at the above address.

Best regards, Jeffrey Lawson

Great site! Lots of really good information!

What is coccydynia? | Investigation and diagnosis | Treatment | Coping with coccyx pain | Find a doctor or specialist

Medical papers | Personal experiences | Links to other sites | Support groups | Site map