Broke tailbone delivering twins

Marie -

Posted 2006-10-15

Hi I am a 29 year old mother of five. My last pregnancy with twins was very difficult and I ended up delivering at only 27 weeks. The delivery was very fast and I had an epidural. It wasn't until the next day that I noticed that my bottom seemed especially sore and into my lower back. I thought that maybe it was due to my epidural but then soon realized that it wasn't the right spot that hurt and that it was in fact my tailbone.

In the following months my doctor said that it would probably heal on its own just to take it easy. A few more months went by and nothing was helping. Finally the doctor decided to give me a cortisone shot for the pain. Believe me the shot hurt like crazy but it did actually work. It worked for almost a year. I went back to the doctor and got another shot. Unfortunately that one only lasted about a month. The doctor tried again and increased the dose but it didn't work at all.

After x-rays and physio I was finally told about the option of surgery. The x-rays didn't really show very much but they thought that my tailbone was probably broken. I went to see the specialist and he went through how the surgery may help but it wasn't 100% guarantee. I had no other choice it had been 3 and a half years and I couldn't live like this any more. I couldn't drive for any amount of time. My sex life wasn't the greatest, one wrong move and that was the end of things.

Anyway I was scheduled for surgery on Aug. 9, 2006 and ended up going in a week early, Aug. 2, 2006. Here in Cilliwack B.C. Canada, Dr. Locht took me into surgery Wednesday morning. That afternoon I was on my way home in a very interesting position in my van.

The first day was OK because he put lots of freezing in for me. When I got home I went straight to bed. The next day was alright I spent the entire day in bed again. On day three I had to go back to see Dr. Locht so he could change my dressing. He was impressed that I hadn't even taken any pain killers at all. I was already in less pain then before the surgery. He told me that when he opened me up my tailbone was just floating around in there not even attached anymore.

By the weekend, only 5 days after surgery I took my mother in law and 5 kids on a day trip to walk through some old train tunnels. I had to drive just over half an hour to get there. It was no problem. My surgery was the best thing in the world for me. I wish everyone could have the same outcome I had. I had no problem with infection or anything. I would have to say that I was 100% better within 2 weeks of surgery. Dr. Locht is my hero. Lol.

If I had the choice to do anything different I would have had the surgery at least 3 years sooner. I spent a lot of time on this site reading different stories and I know its a hard decision to make. I hope that my story helps someone and that they have the same outcome I did. Oh by the way the twins that were born at 27 weeks will be 4 next month and they are still a pain in the just in a different way. Oh well its one that I can live with.


What is coccydynia? | Investigation and diagnosis | Treatment | Coping with coccyx pain | Find a doctor or specialist

Medical papers | Personal experiences | Links to other sites | Support groups | Site map